Wednesday, June 11, 2008

234

So its raining Heavily and I am casting suspicious glances on all the ladies inside the ladies compartment. I mean thats all the action that I am allowed. The compartment is so packed that for once, I feel comfortable about having slippery feet and the minimal chances of falling down.

Btw, Mahim is just the next station and I finally gather up the courage to ask people which side the platform is likely to appear. The ladies cast back suspicious glances at me. Cast not-so-suspicious glances at each other, mutter some stuff in Marathi, look back at me, shrug their shoulders and nervously say, "kya mallum?!" while their eyes dart from one side to the other.

I know. Happens. People get confused. I can't blame them. Plus I am all drenched, my kajal all smudged and my contact lenses have shifted places and I am blinking abnormally and am not exactly a pleasant sight. Its normal if people are scared of me.

But Time is running out and the we've reached Mahim and the train stops. Horror. The station is on the left side and I am standing on the right. By the time I get the real hang of things and shout a feeble "Mahim uttarna hai!!!" while trying to push people into pushing me so that I get space to go to the other side, [I am big, mind you] The train starts moving again.

A girl with Ponytails screeches "you wanted to get down at Mahim?!"
"Too late..but then ..well Yeah..Kind of.." I mumble...
Ponytail girl pulls off a yahoo "surprised" emoticon and screeches again "She had to get down!!!!!!!"...
The unthinkable happens.. the train stops.

"You know you can still try!!!!!".. ponytail girl is on a personal mission.

"Well..yeah..ok..if you insist ..." I am visibly bewildered and frustrated.

But the pushing game has started. Its not about me anymore. Ponytail girl pushes me. "She has to get down!!!!!!"[ in screech mode]I push other people. Other people push some other people . But uh-oh. Train starts moving again.


Bombay was great. The greatest thing about Bombay is its greatness. But. all the greatness comes only second to the absolutely fantastic phenomena called The Pedestrian Subway. They've actually got a subway for people for the purpose and the only purpose of crossing roads!

And I have to blog about my cousin. Apart from the fact that he is nice and arrogant and freakishly funny [quote: its very difficult to take a crap inside a jungle. You cant do the whole job on a fixed place. You will have to move around a lot] He has a massage chair. A massive inflated black colored Massage chair on which you can sit and have a remote control and command the chair to vibrate. Well that kinda sounded perverse. but you get the point..right?

I have been meeting up with a lot of online acquaintances. Feels really nice.

Oh and making this post into a confession of sorts, I am a very shallow person. I almost always have exceptionally lame reasons for doing stuff, but I can't tell people those reasons coz then they will find me ..well..lame ..so I invent fantastic reasons.. like I make up fake reasons and after a certain point of time ..I start believing that those reasons are for real.

Like I wanted to take up Mass communication after boards coz I somehow knew I would not have to study that much[plus there was this certain inspiration from Shaktiman and Company]. I led parents, relatives , some more relatives and the interviewers/professors and new found friends into believing that I am really interested in journalism. But I never was. Then came the time to apply for post grad diploma courses. Of course, I led people into thinking that the institute in Bombay is THE best. and I changed my direction from journalism to TV production simply because it would be easier to get through to the TV production course.

But its getting increasingly difficult to convince relatives. Like everybody inevitably comes up with the same question when I tell them the course name.

"Ok.. so now you're gonna act in TV serials?"

Me: Well ..umm...no . not really.

the quest for knowledge being unquenchable,

"so..like whats this TV production all about?"

Me: You know all these channels ..they come up with these shows ..right? ..so well ..a lot of people work for those channels and ...and.... you know....they do stuff... I will do the same.[!]

"What kinda stuff?"

Me: Frankly, I have no idea.

"??????????????"

Me:.. Of course ..I will have an idea ..in future.. ..umm... you know...after I've finished the course.


I just hope I do.

17 comments:

de trop said...

hey am so envious of u! I jus luv mumbai! well onek din por tor lekha porlam! As usual colourful!

de trop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
onnesha said...

brace urself,girl!
if ur hindi is half as bad as mine,u have reasons to worry!

Angry Voices said...

Yep, it feels great to meet up with online friends.

Feels really nice.

Unknown said...

i`ll blog soon about the meet, but you already have read stuff in gmbc meets, so er, moot point. or a mexican standoff. it was great meeting you, you owe me a treat now. mango duet with paper napkin, mahim mayhem and the hide n seek on the bridge...awesome fun!!

Anonymous said...

:( ....mumbai....

*bursts into tears*

please excuse the melodrama

debajyoti said...

...the greatest thing about bombay is its greatness...wow...what a grt statement!!!!... i like that....

Royal Bengal Tigress said...

Please please buy me some kohlapuri chappals...(see how desperate I am, I haven't even met you!)

What's In A Name ? said...

What a welcome relief to finally have you back and blogging! The cyber-society seems to be in some sort of a slumber......no one's posting anything these days.......and then comes your 'trade-mark' post.

The first part got me thinking if you could write a little book on 'local train travels in Bombay'. Whatever little you wrote was gripping! :)

Anonymous said...

oh...I had my neck scratched and hair pulled da first time I got into local train. now am pretty used to it.

onnesha said...

also,why is the post titled 234?does it have any remote connection with the bus 234 that incidentally starts off from my para?

CRD said...

nice post. i feel males in mumbai are very helpful. cant say the same abt females though[:P] mebbe coz im not allowed to use the ladies compartment [:P]

keep writing
and oh..weird name for the post. wat does 234 mean?

Hatturi Hanzo said...

eijonyei aami Rajdhani chhaRa onyo train-e travel korina B-)

Llama said...

Aah... welcome to the joys and frustrations of the M'bai local.

Oh.. and the 234 bus passes by my para too.

ad libber said...

OMG, the 234 passes my para too (or very near my para anyway)
sniff, we are all bus neighbours.
And welcome back to blogging.

Sam said...

ah!! relax.... i too didn't have an idea wen i did my grads.. and frankly, even now i feel am at a loss!!!
u r not alone!!

Random Doodler said...

XIC is it? Reeealy hectic course, i've heard. Or is it Sophia's? And you neednt worry. Most people i know whi are IN the TV production business still have no idea what they do.